The #BeBrave Series Is Here! / Why Is It Important To Share Your Mental Health Story With The World?

Hey Friends! Hope you are all doing well and had a fabulous 4th of July. If you have been following me on instagram, which if you are not you can right HERE. I have been obsessing over my first series on this blog that I am ready to launch today!





Basically through this series I want to encourage anyone who is struggling or has struggled with any form of mental illness, to share their story. Now you may be wondering "okay Nikki, what is the significance of this?" "Why are you asking us to be vulnerable? That is the worse thing you could possibly ask of a young adult!.."

 I know, being vulnerable and sharing a part of yourself that is not put together and maybe even messy can be scary at times. Having that in mind I wanted to make sure your doubts were ceased and you could participate in this series feeling empowered and encouraged. So I reached out to the community, to people just like you and asked the same question:

Why is it important for people to share their mental health story/journey with the world? Well, this is what some of them said:



                               

                " It takes away the guilt and shame as you find more people connecting to your struggle"    - Dainty M



                             
     




"To show that what they are feeling is valid! Mental illnesses are very real and isolating, sharing our stories shows them they are not alone" -   Valerie
 
 
    " When we share our story, it brings us freedom and allows us to help set others free"
                                - Emily Susanne


 





     


    " So that other people of color, black women more specifically, know that they are not alone"   - Soleil S



 











    " It is important to share your story so that you don't feel like you're the only one facing these problems. In my country Ukraine, there is a huge taboo on talking about mental illness so for the longest time no one even suspected that I might have some issues - it was assumed to be my "bad temper". It was only after I read others' stories that I stopped feeling like a freak and finally dared to ask for help"  - Halcja



 
        " So that no matter how hard it gets, [ people will know] that suicide isn't the only option! There is help available, it is just having the courage to seek it out" -   Katie Alice





 




  " To show people that you have to climb up those rocky paths to find the top and that they're never walking that path alone" -  Alanna


       
         " It helps to detox the pent up emotions and anxiety, it helps you connect to others, it also helps you feel better and helps to find a path to walk on to their own wellness" -   Debs












           
 There were so many responses to this question, I wish I could put them all! But I hope these responses gave you some insight as to why I am starting this series.

 It is for YOU. Yes, the person up at 2am in the morning not able to turn their mind off to have a resting sleep. It is also for the individual writing their story, maybe you are at the point where you feel like you can give back to the community, this is your chance. Maybe you are deciding to write this story but you are still going through the journey, indulge yourself in this community of storytellers and realize how much of an positive outlet writing can be. Write your story and find that little glimpse of healing when you give hope to an unknown person in the midst of your chaos.. it is a blessing, I can assure you that.


Is the #BeBrave series something you want to be apart of? It is very easy, you can just write your story and send it to nickki.opara1@gmail.com. Stories get published on a first come first serve basis.

By the way, to anyone who responded but did not get their answer featured on this post, I will be posting your responses on my instagram every day until our first #BeBrave story comes out!

Thank you so much for all your support! Make sure you are subscribed so you do not miss any post from this series! :)





Nikki O.




Comments

  1. #BeBrave is such a beautiful concept. The message is motivating and healing. I can't wait to read more of the series! Great job! xx

    Nouf || https://noufnotes.wixsite.com/noufnotes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much! I'm so glad you feel this way because healing and motivating is what I was going for 😊


      Nikki

      Delete
  2. Looks like a great series! Definitely so important to share. Thanks for encouraging others to do so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Thank you for your comment Nicole :)


      Nikki

      Delete
  3. I really love this! I'm in the final stretch of obtaining my degree in crisis/christian counseling and one of the most important things we learn is how vital it is for those struggling with mental illness to have a strong social support system with whom they can share their struggles with!
    -Sierra
    www.girltransformed.blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crisis/ Christian counseling sounds interesting! Congrats on almost finishing :) and yes I agree, when I struggled with depression and self harm I felt like I was the only one that is why I am doing this so that no one feels alone. Thank you Sierra for your comment!

      Nikki

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts