#BeBrave Story #3: Taylor Harvey





On January first of this year I tried to end my life.

I was dealing with a pretty severe depressive episode.  Everything that I tried didn’t seem to be working.  Moving home, starting antidepressants, starting counseling, reaching out to friends and family.  I just continued sinking deeper and deeper.
Obviously, as I am here writing to you, my suicide attempt failed.  Things are better now, but my depression is far from gone. 

My world still revolves around my mental illness as I do everything I can to manage it; I am terrified of it.  My mental health blog is constantly on my mind as I try to battle the stigma associated with all mental illnesses.  I am working so hard to make a change in this world that I am sometimes immersed in it all.





Recently a public figure committed suicide.  Mental health is being put in the spotlight for now, and it is amazing to me how many people out there do not understand.  They see mental illness and suicide as a choice, not as a sickness.  They say that it is selfish.
Do you know how painful it is to hear that?  To have felt unimaginable pain and then be criticized for feeling that way?


If you can’t understand I guess I should be happy that you have not had to experience this darkness.  It is a darkness so deep that it consumes your entire being.  It is not simply just feeling sad.  It is so much more complex than that.  It’s a chemical imbalance in your brain.
I have recently learned that depression is as common as brown eyes.  Isn’t that insane?  Yet, despite that statistic, you don’t hear much about it.  Nobody talks about it.  There is so much shame and stigma associated with mental illnesses. 


"I Refuse To Stay Silent..."
I wonder how many people have lived with depression for years and just accepted it because they don’t know how to get help or are too afraid of how they will be labeled by society.
I am here to say something.  I have a message and I believe in it so fiercely that I will shout it from mountaintops.  I refuse to stay silent for one more moment while there are millions out there that feel they are alone.

You are not alone. I am here with you.  It’s not your fault.  Don’t worry if you feel like you can’t fight anymore; I am fighting for you.

I know it is impossible to imagine that things will get better, but they will.


----------------------------------------------------------

Taylor Harvey is passionate about mental health. She has her degree in psychology and is currently pursuing her Masters in Mental Health Counseling. She has been fighting through depression for over a year now which drove her to create her blog The Lotus Project Site to bring awareness to mental illness. You can connect and learn more about Taylor on her social medias!

Instagram: thelotusproject_

Facebook: thelotusproject



Thank you Taylor for sharing your story with us!



Hey Friends, I hope Taylor's story not only comforted you in knowing you are not alone but has moved something inside of you to want to tell YOUR story and fight against this stigma society has put on mental illness in general.

If you would like to #BeBrave and share your story with the community you can email your story to: nickki.opara1@gmail.com




Much Love,

Nikki O.

Comments

  1. Such an important story to share. Depression is not limited to certain faces. And so important that there is no shame around it as shame blocks the gift to the world each and EVERY person has!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I couldn't agree more. Thank you Lynn for reading x

      Delete
  2. It is too bad there's a stigma associated with depression. Last year, a fellow teacher asked me to help her know what to say/do for a young middle schooler that wanted to end her life. She couldn't go to her parents, so thankfully the teacher was able to talk her through and help her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post! It's so important to raise awareness of mental illness and remove the stigma surrounding it. So glad to have posts like these that show that things do get better x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such an inspirational story! People can come out of dark periods and I really wish Taylor the best with the rest of her recovery and all the best for the future

    Ellie
    www.headintheclouds.me.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I hope as much people as possible will read it. That people that may not understand try and understand and that people that feel the same way see that they are not alone..

    Kirsty
    www.corinneandkirsty.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post - we need more like this! The more people talking about mental illness the better xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - you are so incredibly brave to share your story like this. You're incredible and inspiring, and I hope you continue to write forever x
    Abby - www.seafoaming.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts