Skip to main content

To The Student Who Is Taking Longer Than Four Years To Graduate...

I have not written a college related post in a long time so I figured why not, especially since this particular one has been on my mind lately. As it seems a lot of people have graduated this month I want to start by saying CONGRATS! to you all. It has been so exciting to hear about all of your post college grad life and your plans for the future.

With that being said, I want to speak in particularly to the student who has not graduated yet, maybe you have one more year and you will not be graduating in that expected four year mark.. or maybe you are still in community college and feel stuck among the waiting lists and endless GE requirements. I'm writing to that student who is scrolling through Instagram looking at all those grad photos of your classmates from high school and your thinking "that could of been me" "that should of been me" "Maybe if I had.." " Maybe I should of.." I want you to pause with those thoughts and the scrolling and hear me out for just a minute.



As I am writing this post I am also speaking to myself as I should of been graduating as well this year but unfortunately it has to be next year so I can pull up my gpa. Why am I not depressed and beating myself up about it? It is because there are three valuable lessons I have come to learned  for the past year or so or maybe over the spam of my teenage life that I have finally grabbed a hold of and would like to share..

1. Be Content. Not Comfortable

I truly believe that college is not a competition to see who can finish in 4 years or less, although society has made it that way.. it is not.  So be content where you are always keeping in mind what your end goal is.

2. Always refer back to your achievements and goals

I have a little section on my wall above my desk that has post-it notes of my short and long term goals as well as the achievements that I am proud of. It is so important to not only have them written down but placed some where you can always see them in plain sight, that way you are always refreshing your mind and heart as to what your passions are and how far you have already come.


3. Stop Comparing!!!!

I can not stress this enough! Listen, there are people like my sister who can see someone who has achieved the same goal that she has set out to accomplish, but that person finished first, my sister is good at letting that drive her to not only accomplish the goal but be the best she can be at whatever she is doing. I'm nothing like that. That is definitely something I am working on though. I'm the type of person that has a mind that starts running all over the place.So when I see a friend of mine from high school who has completed her undergrad I go from "Aww good for her" to "that could of been me" all the way to "I'm so behind what is wrong with me? I am a failure". That is why if you are the same way, where you have a mind that goes from 0 to 100 in depressing thoughts about yourself, it is so important that you learn how to love yourself enough no matter what season you are at in your life.


I hope this encouraged you, comment and/or share this post if it did! I love hearing from you all. God bless!





Nikki O.

1 Peter 6  " So be truly glad. There is wonderful joy ahead, even though you must endure many trials for a while. These trials will show that your faith is genuine. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold, though your faith is far more precious than mere gold"  



Stay tuned for the exciting post that will be launching this series next week! Make sure you have subscribed so you do not miss any of the #BeBrave stories that are on the way! 

If you want to share your story, you can send it to nickki.opara1@gmail.com


Comments

  1. Couldn't agree more that comparison is the root of evil! Focusing on your own goals and striving for your own successes, independent of anyone else, is definitely the way forward! I'm sure that your graduation will come before you know it and that you'll have done an amazing job!

    Abbey 🐝 www.abbeylouisarose.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww ❤️❤️❤️ Finishing college is definitely not a race! I pushed myself to finish rather quickly and go straight to grad school, and after a few years I felt so burnt out. It was hard not to regret all that rushing. College is as much about experiencing the journey as it is about getting that piece of expensive paper at the end. You're totally right -- comparing yourself to others just brings unhappiness. This is YOUR life, not theirs, and you need to go at the speed that feels right for you ❤️❤️

    xx
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more, Thank you Emily for the thoughtful comment. :)



      Nikki

      Delete
  3. It's so great that you have this option of taking your time to graduate. College should be a place where you go to learn something and gain new experiences and not stress yourself out to the point of thinking that you're a failure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Thanks Halyna! I agree, It's so bothersome that so many young adults beat themselves down and look at themselves as failures when they do not achieve society's expectations of them

      Nikki

      Delete
  4. If we could all better grasp your first point, we would live more peaceful lives!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes so true. No matter what stage we are in too many times do we find ourselves comparing. We have to remind ourselves our life is our journey set at our own pace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment Hyla! Definitely, our individual journey is set specifically for our own pace, looking at how far another person is going will only distract us from our ultimate goal :) I appreciate your support and thoughts on my posts! x



      Nikki




      Nikki

      Delete
  6. Wise and effective strategies shared here !!! I took 5 years to graduate with first degree, and then surprised myself and immediately jumped in master's course work and finished that in the two more years. YES there is so much more to life and following someone's idea of a successful timeline !

    http://grandmamarymartha.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a good read! Yes, a lot of people get discouraged or feel embarrassed because they didn't graduate "on time" like their classmates. Some people take longer than others and there's nothing wrong with that! FINISHING is something to be proud of. GETTING BACK ON TRACK is something to be proud of when one could have easily decided not to finish. A degree is a degree regardless of the time it takes to achieve it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I completely agree. You should never compare. We are all different after all. And you might want to compare yourself to someone you think is nailing it and then no. Also, take as much time as you need, coz again, we're all different xx corinne

    ReplyDelete
  9. I completely agree- everyone's journey is different. All that matters if you finish! And btw, it's so mature of you to stay longer to boost that GPA. It'll definitely pay off!

    ReplyDelete
  10. With havin so much content do you ever run into any problems
    of plagorism or copyright infringement? My blog
    has a lot of exclusive content I've either authored myself or outsourced but
    it appears a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my permission. Do you
    know any methods to help prevent content
    from being stolen? I'd definitely appreciate it. Lose
    Weight By Eating Book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As of right now I haven't run into that problem. But that is a good point you bring up, I don't really have a solution for that if it were to happen to me or to prevent it unfortunately. :(


      Nikki

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Don't Let Fear Stop You From Living"

"Don't Let Fear Stop You From Living"
"Don't Let Fear Stop You From Living" 
"Don't Let Fear Stop You From Living" 

Someone retweeted this quote on twitter and I immediately opened my computer to start writing. I typed it out like three times because it really stood out to me. I have been thinking a lot about the concept of fear lately, especially with all the chaos going on in our world today. After the unfortunate event at Manchester I knew that I wanted to write a post revolving around fear because lets be honest I and I am pretty sure everyone reading this is or has been carrying a inner feeling of fear in their spirit.



What thing/s are you scared of at the moment? Maybe school, losing friends, the future, death, violence, making sacrifices, new job, losing a job, the list can go on. I think so many times we are focused on putting on this face as if we are invincible and have tough skin that we totally forget that hey, you are human and it i…

Four of My Favorite Bible Verses ( Guest Post By Airriaunte)

Hey Friends, I have a special post for you today! In this blogging community I have been lucky enough to connect with fellow bloggers who share the same Christian faith. With that being said I was more than happy to collab with Airriaunte from the blog CoffeeWithTae and have her share four bible verses that has convicted her. I hope this blesses you!

Please read more about Tae after the post below! If you want to read about My favorite bible verses click HERE






Hi! My name is Airriaunte most (all) of my friends call me Tae! As Im sure you already know Nikki and I are doing a collab of some bible verses that mean a lot to us! So here are the four from me!





Galatians 4: 1-71 I’m saying that as long as the heirs are minors, they are no different from slaves, though they really are the owners of everything. 2 However, they are placed under trustees and guardians until the date set by the parents. 3 In the same way, when we were minors, we were also enslaved by this world’s system. 4 But whe…