Skip to main content

"Don't Let Fear Stop You From Living"


"Don't Let Fear Stop You From Living"
"Don't Let Fear Stop You From Living" 
"Don't Let Fear Stop You From Living" 

Someone retweeted this quote on twitter and I immediately opened my computer to start writing. I typed it out like three times because it really stood out to me. I have been thinking a lot about the concept of fear lately, especially with all the chaos going on in our world today. After the unfortunate event at Manchester I knew that I wanted to write a post revolving around fear because lets be honest I and I am pretty sure everyone reading this is or has been carrying a inner feeling of fear in their spirit.



What thing/s are you scared of at the moment? Maybe school, losing friends, the future, death, violence, making sacrifices, new job, losing a job, the list can go on. I think so many times we are focused on putting on this face as if we are invincible and have tough skin that we totally forget that hey, you are human and it is okay to acknowledge your fears and doubts sometimes. Actually it is healthy that way. I was doing a little research and a writer named Carolyn Gregoire wrote and published a brilliant piece on Huffington Post called   The Science Of Conquering Your Fears - And Living A More Courageous Life. She had listed the "six tried and true" ways of loosening the grip of fear in your life. One of the ways that really bounced out at me was to Acknowledge Your Fears. She writes on how research has proven that acting courageously can only happen if one has a firm understanding of his/her fears and anxieties. In other words, in order to not let fear control you, you have acknowledge it, and understand what is driving that fear.

With that being said, I have been scratching my head as to what this quote truly means " Don't Let Your Fear Stop You from Living" and in no way is it saying ignore those feelings. Instead, be aware of the doubts that come cross your mind, but do not let it be the reason why you would not go for that new job, or use those two months to study really hard for that GRE ( that has my name written ALL over it lol).

Maybe a big fear is working so hard and having it all taken away from you or not being able to live to see your hard work manifest. This is the reason I hold on so dearly to my christian faith, not as a crutch, but with being reaffirmed by God's word that "all things work together for good, for them who love God, and to them who are called according to his purpose" ( Roman 8:28). There is so much peace in that, especially in this chaotic world we live in. As long as you know who you are living for and that your ultimate purpose in life is to live a life pleasing to God and is aligned according to his will, then among the evil going on, we can cast all our burdens and fears at the feet of the cross and "be strong through the grace that God give [us] in Jesus Christ"

Hopefully this post gave you some insight or at least a deep breathe in knowing that it is okay if your now noticing that you are not superman/ superwomen and you have fears and doubts, but you also have the power to not let it control your life.

Please give this a share if this post touched you in anyway! also comment your thoughts on what has been discussed as well :).



Nikki O.

"Endure suffering along with me as a good solider of Christ Jesus, soliders do not get tied up in the affairs of civilian life, for they can not pleae the officer who enlisted them" (2 Timothy:3-5) 




Comments

  1. I've seen that quote before...but I think I really needed to see it now.

    I think I often allow fear to stop me from doing things. It's something I need to work on.

    I've already opened the link from Huff Post in another tab, so I'm heading over to read the article that you recommended right now!

    Thank you!

    Steph
    www.socialspying.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! I would love to know what you think about the article, I really found it useful :).

      Delete
  2. Such a fantastic post Nikki. Fear is important in keeping us safe, but it can also hinder us. I think the Carolyn Gregoire is quite right that it's important to identify the cause of our fears. A fear of walking alone at night is one that keeps us safe. If we want or need to walk alone at night, we can then take steps to do things to make this safer and in the process, reduce our fear. We may decide that the risks outweigh the benefits and that's ok too. By identifying the cause we can take control of the fear. We make the decisions and that's empowering. Xx

    Tania | http://whentaniatalks.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tania for reading! 😊 . I agree, that we overall can make the final decision and that is where the empowerment comes from!

      Delete
  3. I have been afraid to share my blog with the people I know! Slowly getting over that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine how scary that can be, I'm still getting through that fear myself. I don't show them all at once though. I started by showing two of my best friends and when I saw that they loved it then I went on from there. Little by little is how I'm approaching it :)

      Thanks for reading Anne 😊.

      Delete
  4. Fear is paralyzing!
    I'm happy being reminded to live in Christ and not live in fear.
    Blessings to you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm glad this reminder brought you happiness ☺. Thank you so much for reading Ifeoma!

      Nikki O.

      Delete
  5. Acknowledging fear is hard because it means that we have to admit that we can't do it ourselves. Coming from a fearful person, I appreciate this post :)
    Great thoughts! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. One of the biggest things we as humans face I truly believe is pride. Once we put that aside is when we can truly do brave work 🙂. I'm so glad you liked it, I'm someone who has to many fears to count so this definitely came from the heart. Thanks for your comment Lizzy.

      Nikki O

      Delete
  6. It's a good question to keep asking yourself from time to time. I've found that facing the fear usually makes me realize it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought in the first place! Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true! You never really know how scary something is unless you go forward and do it. :)

      Delete
  7. I suppose an advantage to living longer is the perspective of holding things/people with a much lighter grasp. Eternity appears nearer and more expansive, so potentially losing the things of earth isn't so frightening. Just my vantage point now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peggy that is such an interesting way of looking at it! Thank you for your insight, I love that idea that when we realize that there is more to life than Earth ( eternity) then what we lose here is not really a loss at all, and it becomes less frightening like you said! :)

      Delete
  8. A really well-written and insightful post. It's really easy to sit and allow fears to consume you, or else go the opposite way and try and bury them. But it's so important to know that it's okay to feel fear - it's just how you manage it that's the most important. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Erin for your comment! You are so right. Honestly I feel like fear is one of the most difficult things in life to manage but once we do, life becomes a little more enjoyable :)

      Delete
  9. Love this quote! God is really teaching me that when I allow my fears to control me, they also cripple me from living out God's will for my life. It is true that once we acknowledge our fears, we are able to act courageously and its awesome to see how God is there every step of the way. As I have been facing my fears lately, it has built my faith and my confidence tremendously.
    The scripture you shared (Romans 8:28) is one that helps me a lot and many others too. One that comes to mind to share with you is Philippians 1:6 - being confident of this, that he who began a God work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.
    As I've studied out fear, I've learned that fear = unbelief, where faith = complete trust. With this knowledge facing my fears has built my faith and confidence in what God is able to do and what I am able to do through Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Colleen thank you so much for your comment! I hate that i am getting back to you late :( and yes, Philippians 1:6 is a great verse! I refer back to it from time to time especially when I start doubting my abilities. Thank you for sharing this with me. And thank you so much for subscribing I hope you continue to enjoy the content I put out :)
      Much love,
      Nikki O.

      Delete
  10. Totally agree about not let ourselves be ruled be fear. But I do have to say that Jesus definitely is my crutch, without him I couldn't do anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alive you are totally right, we can not do anything with out God :)
      Thank you so much for reading! x

      Nikki O.

      Delete
  11. As someone who lives with Generalised anxiety disorder I love this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Tracy I'm so glad it touched you! Thank you so much for reading and sharing that with me :) I hope to see you back on my blog more x

      Nikki O.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Family Violence. // We Have Lost Love In Our Homes.

There was a recent report from TheGailyGrind that I came across on Facebook, in which broke my heart. A mother admitted to ambushing and killing her gay son because she could not accept his sexual orientation..




I was filled with a flood of emotions and thoughts and  just ranting a little paragraph on Facebook about it was not enough. I had to go deeper.

No, I will not be discussing whether I am for or against gay marriage. Although that topic of gay rights is crucial and needs attention, that is not my main focus of this post.

Love. Family: Your Flesh And Blood.
Those words are most likely going to be repeated in this post more than once.

Correct me if I am wrong, but when you decide to have a family you are committing to going through peaks and valleys with these people in your life. They are the ones you see when you wake up and before you go to bed, they are the people that are suppose to display the first example of Love.

I think we all know first hand that being a teen/young adul…

To The Student Who Is Taking Longer Than Four Years To Graduate...

I have not written a college related post in a long time so I figured why not, especially since this particular one has been on my mind lately. As it seems a lot of people have graduated this month I want to start by saying CONGRATS! to you all. It has been so exciting to hear about all of your post college grad life and your plans for the future.

With that being said, I want to speak in particularly to the student who has not graduated yet, maybe you have one more year and you will not be graduating in that expected four year mark.. or maybe you are still in community college and feel stuck among the waiting lists and endless GE requirements. I'm writing to that student who is scrolling through Instagram looking at all those grad photos of your classmates from high school and your thinking "that could of been me" "that should of been me" "Maybe if I had.." " Maybe I should of.." I want you to pause with those thoughts and the scrolling and …