Skip to main content

Zara Anne's Mental Health Story/Encouragement ( Guest Post )


I tweeted over a day ago asking if anyone would like to guest post on my blog in regards to any topic surrounding Mental Health. The sweet Zara Anne from the blog Its All Zara willingly stepped up and I am so glad she did. In her post she gives us a glimpse of some of the trials and obstacles she has had to climb through in terms of getting help within the Mental Health System. Not only does she talk about the peaks and valleys, but also how she persevered through it all. By reading this, you will learn about some deep painful burdens she has had to go through in which has sparked her passion for reaching out to others. I hope you enjoy her story as much as I did and feel encouraged and moved!

Definitely read more about Zara at the end of this post!



I volunteered to write this post for a fellow blogger due to my experience and knowledge of mental health. As well as the struggles of suffering with a mental health disorder. I have experienced eating disorders, anxiety and depression as well as body image dysmorphia (a condition that causes a person to see their body in a way that isn't healthy and often it is linked to anorexics that feel they are overweight and unhealthy). I actually receive counselling at my college and have had counselling at my other colleges so I am familiar with the cognitive behavioral therapy that is available to those who need it. I was also given anti depressants from my doctor when I left an abusive parent in 2015, I tried the tablets and didn't find them helpful so I was put onto a waiting list in January 2016 for counselling through the NHS and was told they would call me. March 2017 and I still haven't heard back despite me calling my doctor and even the helpline myself, this for me isn't as urgent as it was when I first applied as my mental health has improved to the extent that most days I feel mostly positive. But what would have happened if I were still suffering with depression, suicidal thoughts and a severe eating disorder? My doctor knew I had very low image problems and was at my lowest but I was still just a number on a waiting list, how many are on this list with me? How many have taken their own lives because of the pressure and having to wait with tablets given to us as a "in the meantime" measure.
 I manage to keep a lid on my issues through exercise and a healthy meal plan set by me for me. But others aren't helped as easily, some need serious help and I despair every time I hear another poor soul has committed suicide, hurt themselves or given up. I like to think of myself as an advocate for mental health because my struggles and my experience has given me an understanding of those who also suffer and I want everyone to know I am always available for a talk, for a rant, for advice and I will never turn someone away. Because while we on the waiting list sit and wonder if help is ever coming I want to be that help. Mental health disorders are serious and I want to help as many as I can.



You may not hear this enough, but I care. I will always care. If you need to reach out you can reach out to me I promise I won't turn you away. I had a close friend take her life because of her mental illnesses and I refuse to let others sit by without help.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------


Zara Anne is a writer with several interests. When you read her blog Its All Zara, you will find beauty, fashion, personal experiences and her unwavering passion for mental health. Follow Zara on Twitter!


Twitter: @itsallzara






















Comments

  1. Mental health really is something that is completely misunderstood in this country. There needs to be much more compassion for those who suffer from it. There also needs to be much more education on the matter, so that those who have mental issues are not discriminated against or looked upon. God bless you and best of luck in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, I agree! Thank you for reading this story and sharing your thoughts :)


      Nikki O.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Don't Let Fear Stop You From Living"

"Don't Let Fear Stop You From Living"
"Don't Let Fear Stop You From Living" 
"Don't Let Fear Stop You From Living" 

Someone retweeted this quote on twitter and I immediately opened my computer to start writing. I typed it out like three times because it really stood out to me. I have been thinking a lot about the concept of fear lately, especially with all the chaos going on in our world today. After the unfortunate event at Manchester I knew that I wanted to write a post revolving around fear because lets be honest I and I am pretty sure everyone reading this is or has been carrying a inner feeling of fear in their spirit.



What thing/s are you scared of at the moment? Maybe school, losing friends, the future, death, violence, making sacrifices, new job, losing a job, the list can go on. I think so many times we are focused on putting on this face as if we are invincible and have tough skin that we totally forget that hey, you are human and it i…

To The Student Who Is Taking Longer Than Four Years To Graduate...

I have not written a college related post in a long time so I figured why not, especially since this particular one has been on my mind lately. As it seems a lot of people have graduated this month I want to start by saying CONGRATS! to you all. It has been so exciting to hear about all of your post college grad life and your plans for the future.

With that being said, I want to speak in particularly to the student who has not graduated yet, maybe you have one more year and you will not be graduating in that expected four year mark.. or maybe you are still in community college and feel stuck among the waiting lists and endless GE requirements. I'm writing to that student who is scrolling through Instagram looking at all those grad photos of your classmates from high school and your thinking "that could of been me" "that should of been me" "Maybe if I had.." " Maybe I should of.." I want you to pause with those thoughts and the scrolling and …

Four of My Favorite Bible Verses ( Guest Post By Airriaunte)

Hey Friends, I have a special post for you today! In this blogging community I have been lucky enough to connect with fellow bloggers who share the same Christian faith. With that being said I was more than happy to collab with Airriaunte from the blog CoffeeWithTae and have her share four bible verses that has convicted her. I hope this blesses you!

Please read more about Tae after the post below! If you want to read about My favorite bible verses click HERE






Hi! My name is Airriaunte most (all) of my friends call me Tae! As Im sure you already know Nikki and I are doing a collab of some bible verses that mean a lot to us! So here are the four from me!





Galatians 4: 1-71 I’m saying that as long as the heirs are minors, they are no different from slaves, though they really are the owners of everything. 2 However, they are placed under trustees and guardians until the date set by the parents. 3 In the same way, when we were minors, we were also enslaved by this world’s system. 4 But whe…