Skip to main content

Our Parents Are Human Just Like Us


Okay before I start, please do not take this post as a rebellion note to disrespect your parents. Absolutely Not. Our Parents deserve our respect and always know what is best for us.. well 99.9% of the time. ;)



Our Parents Are Not Prefect.
They fail and make mistakes just like we do.

I know what you are thinking.. "Thanks Ms. Obvious". But here me out..

We are told to respect our parents at all times, but while respecting them we seem to forget that they are human just like us. I know for me personally, I have had my parents on a pedestal for the longest time thinking that they are the prime example of perfection.

What I am saying is "Dad" does not mean Superman and "Mom" is far from Saint Mary.

Sometimes they will hurt our feelings whether they are aware of it or not. They will compare you to your cousins, siblings or friends not knowing that it brings you down more than raise you up. They will label you once in a while and a few hurtful words will come out of their mouth from pure frustration. They may be consumed with such pride that they do not know how to come back to you and say "I am Sorry". While growing up I use to think, well they are my parents so whatever they say and do is right. But, now that I am in my millennial stage of life I am coming in terms with the fact that my parents stumble and have their messy days just like me.

Am I making sense?






Earlier today I broke down in tears because my dad and I had a misunderstanding. While he was trying to correct me, I was trying to defend myself or at least explain to him the reason for my actions. Unfortunately it led to him raising his voice and saying some hurtful things that made me feel pretty poor about myself. Well, in the mist of my pity party my mind started to run with the thoughts of "Well he is my dad so he is always right" or " I was in the wrong so he was allowed to say those things to me", when that is not necessarily true.


Yes, discipline and accountability is essential in parenting. But I do believe there is a fine line between addressing an issue with your teen and saying things unknowingly that only discourages them as a person at the end of the day.

Those are my thoughts, tell me what you think! Do you agree?
When was the time you finally realized that your parents are human and make mistakes just like you?

Comment below and let's talk about it! :)





Comments

  1. You are making a lot of sense actually! Great post! Best Wishes, Iga http://igaberry.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Iga! I love reading your comments on my blog :) 😊. Best wishes right back at you!


      Nikki O. | www.herdaringthoughts.blogspot.com

      Delete
  2. I agree, sometimes parents aren't always as perfect as we make them out to be and can be pretty hurtful towards us and do and say things that we may find disheartening.
    Great post, I completely understand where you're coming from ☺️ X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, I am so glad you liked it! :). Thank you so much, I love seeing your comments x

      Nikki O. | www.herdaringthoughts.blogspot.com

      Delete
  3. Completely understand where you're coming from and I still believe there are people out there who would not understand, but there is truth in this post! Thanks for sharing!

    Jessica & James
    foodandbaker.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I am glad you agree! Thanks for your comment :) x

      Delete
  4. Totally. Parents are still human and are subject to bad days, mistakes and so forth. My mom never admitted she was wrong until I was like 20 but my dad did and apologized loads when wrong.

    S .x http://ramblingsofayoungprgirl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I'm so glad your parents were able to finally come to you when they realized they hurt you in some way. There is so much respect that comes with that :) Thank you for the comment Samantha! x

      Delete
  5. This is such a great and unique post, I love it x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Completely understand what you're talking about! I think it's easy to forget they're human and that there's no formal training for how to be parent! The beauty of growing up is being aware of the fact that sometimes our parents aren't going to handle things as well as what we'd like them to, but being understanding of their mistakes. In a perfect world, we'd all get along 100% of the time. No matter what is said in the heat of the moment or blurted out in less than ideal words, our parents love us and only want what they feel is best for us x

    www.stephiebeau.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are on point! I totally agree with you, there is no prefect manual on how to be a parent. But at the end of the day our parents do what they do because they love us :)
      Thank you for your comment Stephie!

      Delete
  7. I love this post!
    I love how open and real this is, I often forget my parents say things they don't mean and I always take it to heart.
    You often forget they're people just like us and will make mistakes.
    Fab post
    Charlotte xx
    Theporcelaindollblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. My parents while they were alive definitely made a LOT of mistakes.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. As a parent of seven, I wholeheartedly agree that parents are human and far from perfect! And as a Christian parent, I am grateful for all the times that the Holy Spirit has convicted me and caused me to repent and ask forgiveness from Jesus and my children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is amazing and so important. Thank you for reading!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Don't Let Fear Stop You From Living"

"Don't Let Fear Stop You From Living"
"Don't Let Fear Stop You From Living" 
"Don't Let Fear Stop You From Living" 

Someone retweeted this quote on twitter and I immediately opened my computer to start writing. I typed it out like three times because it really stood out to me. I have been thinking a lot about the concept of fear lately, especially with all the chaos going on in our world today. After the unfortunate event at Manchester I knew that I wanted to write a post revolving around fear because lets be honest I and I am pretty sure everyone reading this is or has been carrying a inner feeling of fear in their spirit.



What thing/s are you scared of at the moment? Maybe school, losing friends, the future, death, violence, making sacrifices, new job, losing a job, the list can go on. I think so many times we are focused on putting on this face as if we are invincible and have tough skin that we totally forget that hey, you are human and it i…

To The Student Who Is Taking Longer Than Four Years To Graduate...

I have not written a college related post in a long time so I figured why not, especially since this particular one has been on my mind lately. As it seems a lot of people have graduated this month I want to start by saying CONGRATS! to you all. It has been so exciting to hear about all of your post college grad life and your plans for the future.

With that being said, I want to speak in particularly to the student who has not graduated yet, maybe you have one more year and you will not be graduating in that expected four year mark.. or maybe you are still in community college and feel stuck among the waiting lists and endless GE requirements. I'm writing to that student who is scrolling through Instagram looking at all those grad photos of your classmates from high school and your thinking "that could of been me" "that should of been me" "Maybe if I had.." " Maybe I should of.." I want you to pause with those thoughts and the scrolling and …

Family Violence. // We Have Lost Love In Our Homes.

There was a recent report from TheGailyGrind that I came across on Facebook, in which broke my heart. A mother admitted to ambushing and killing her gay son because she could not accept his sexual orientation..




I was filled with a flood of emotions and thoughts and  just ranting a little paragraph on Facebook about it was not enough. I had to go deeper.

No, I will not be discussing whether I am for or against gay marriage. Although that topic of gay rights is crucial and needs attention, that is not my main focus of this post.

Love. Family: Your Flesh And Blood.
Those words are most likely going to be repeated in this post more than once.

Correct me if I am wrong, but when you decide to have a family you are committing to going through peaks and valleys with these people in your life. They are the ones you see when you wake up and before you go to bed, they are the people that are suppose to display the first example of Love.

I think we all know first hand that being a teen/young adul…