Friendships (Quality vs. Quantity)


I was scrolling through my "Friends List" on Facebook and noticed that most of the people I have on my friends list had little to no conversation with me in high school. I basically have over 400- something friends on Facebook and there is maybe only  5-10 people on there that I actually have a genuine friendship with.

What is my point?

Junior High and High school I remember I wanted everyone to like me and be my friend.  I dreamed of being those popular girls who always had everyone around them and were known for who knows what. Now come to think of it, as I have matured a great deal I know that I rather not have that. I don't want tons of "friends" in my life, I want quality friendships.

I am in my third year of college and I have finally learned and came to understand that Friendships are more about quality over quantity. At this time in my life I am striving to make meaningful connections with people because that is essential. As soon as that became my goal the beginning of 2016 I observed that although I have had to let go of some people, I have also attained and sustained friendships that have made me the person I am today and have brought me to the place I am now.. A good place.

You ever heard that quote that says " many people touch our lives for different reasons, some come for awhile and others stay for a season".. well it is true.
Last year I had to end a two year friendship, not because that person was a bad person but because the season of her being in my life was over. When difficult things like that happens it does not always makes sense. But, I have came to realize the empowerment that it gives to let go of people that do not feed into your mental, spiritual and psychological growth.

Letting go of that toxic friendship has opened my eyes to true friends that have brought and continue to bring meaning in my life and stability during my crazy years of college.










Comments

  1. People tease me all the time about how many friends I have on Facebook and honestly, I think Facebook is a more intimate social site than Instagram or Twitter. Facebook is where I actually connect with people that I know and see on a daily basis. I completely understand where you're coming from. Not everyone deserves to be a part of your life or know every little detail about you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! As we get older it's the friends that give meaning to our lives that we desire to have. Glad you have found some true friends. Good post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts